Friday, November 2, 2007

#14 Discover Technorati

I started my search for Learning 2.0 with the typical boneheaded Google approach. I put Learning 2.0 in the search window. Bad idea. I got well over 5,000 hits. Though a scattering of them were on target I pulled up more junk than I wanted.

Then I put Learning 2.0 in quotations marks. The results were much better - only 400 plus hits - and many of them mentioned (and even linked to) Learning 2.0. Finally I added the word "Maryland." My results here were actually too narrowly focused, since I only located a few blogs that contained links to Learning 2.0.

I then went into the Advanced Search mode and put Learning 2.0 into the Tag Search Box. I got about 625 hits. I did pick up a fair amount of junk. On the other hand, I also picked up a bunch of videos which (I am sure) I would never have located without tags.

A Blog Directory search raised the number of hits to nearly 750, though the quality of the hits was erratic.

When I went on to look at the Top Favorited Blogs, it was interesting to note that intellectual navel contemplating seemed to be a common thread running through them. Most seemed to address the interests of techno dweebs.

Looking at Top Searches, I found that few of them interested me. That's not surprising, actually. The whole thrust of the web is to satisfy the interests and needs of countless millions of people niche audience by niche audience. So a top search can be a top search without needing the ratings of a top network television show.

As for Top Blogs, some are favorites of mine and have been for a long time. Most I've never heard of.

No comments: